Monday, September 13, 2004

SHIT FUCK DAMN PISS HELL

So I get up at 6:00 and run my 20 miles Saturday morning. I survive, and I actually feel pretty good afterward. I stretch repeatedly throughout the day -- and the rest of the weekend for that matter. I proudly limp to an art showcase thingie on Saturday night with Bill and casually work my epic accomplishment into random conversations with people (most of whom are coworkers and many of whom are fellow marathoners) -- and I bask in suitable levels of praise all night.

I'm fine all day Sunday ... though I blow off the Bucktown 5K Sunday morning because -- DUH -- I'm in waaaay too much pain to run another three miles only 24 hours after pounding out 20. Besides, I could injure myself.

I go to the first chorus rehearsal of the season Sunday night and end up at Sidetrack with some friends afterward. Again, casually working the 20-mile thing into random conversations all night (hey, I earned every bit of praise I can squeeze out of this) and all the while treating my legs and hips with care so as not to aggravate any of the minor aches and pains that are never subtle about announcing their ever-present presence.

I tumble into bed and sleep a long, restful, profound slumber.

And when I wake up this morning, it's back. The searing pain in my right hip flexor that killed last year's marathon dreams almost exactly a year ago. It's back. It also hurts where my IT band connects to my outer hip. I have a VERY noticeable limp. It hurts to stand. It hurts to sit. It hurts to stretch.

It hurts to think I've lost yet another four-plus months of training to an injury I've been excruciatingly careful to avoid.

It hurts.

9 comments:

Rick Aiello said...

Good God.... that sounds awful!

Is this a true injury or a pull or a strain? What on earth could you have done to aggrivate it?

Shit Fuck Damn Piss Hell indeed. That sucks. :-(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tim said...

Give yourself a chance to recover. Your body is just taking in the shock. It's similar to when you work out a muscle group. It takes a day or so for it to kick in. Then you need another day to recover. Drink plenty of fluids and call me in the morning.

Tom said...

Createne. Try createne. I got peeps what swears by it for the excersize owies.

Anonymous said...

Ice, heat, massage, ice, heat, massage... --Yours in Blisters

Jeffrey Ricker said...

Don't throw in the towel yet, Jake. If the pain persists, see if you can't get in to see a doctor who specializes in sports medicine. It may be something correctible (is that a word?) as easily as different shoes.

Hey... did you get a new pair of shoes? If so, best to break them in first on shorter runs before taking them out on a long one. I have no proof to back that up, just what I've heard.

Don't give up!

David said...

You have to ask yourself WWJD? (Of course I'm referring to the one and only Joan Crawford, my personal savior through who all things are possible) Joan would grit her teeth and run, run like the wind! Think of your FANS! Just take it easy for a bit, big boy. Sucks to get old, huh? ;)

Anonymous said...

That happened to me on my first of five marathons. The best stretch I did to help it involved a large solid piece of cylindrical styrofoam. You roll on it from the hip to the knee along the IT band. Within minutes I felt better and within a week I was back on the track with no time lost. I used it for all five marathons -- including Boston. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Pathetic little bitch.