Friday, June 01, 2007

Confidential to my boyfriend:

Last night we were talking about how people keep saying relationships take work. But since our relationship just gets happier and easier and more awesome by the day and all we do is just show up, we wondered if maybe we’re doing something wrong.

I don’t know about you, but I intend to keep doing whatever we're doing all wrong until we’re too old to tie our own shoes and hold our stomachs in at Sidetrack. I continue to marvel at the fact that I actually have you … that we live together … that I really get to keep coming home to you every night and waking up next to you every morning.

And I promise you this: I will make sure every day is as happy and giddy as the day we met. I will never take you for granted. And I will always fold my T-shirts crooked so you have a reason to fix them and feel needed. And maybe so you just give up and do the laundry full-time. And the dishes. And I noticed the dust buffalos are congregating under the guest room bed again.

In any case, happy birthday to the Rest Of My Life! I love you. And in case I haven’t made my gooey emotions completely clear here, I am encasing them in that most horrifying of lazy blogger tropes: the song quote. But this one is a show tune. And it doesn’t have one of those rigid rhyme schemes, so it’s kinda poetic. And I often catch myself singing it in my head when I think about you, so it’s totally appropriate. And it couldn’t be more true if it were sung by two witches who spent their days hanging out near an orchestra pit, so it’s wholly relevant to our life together:
I’ve heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return.
Well, I don’t know if I believe that’s true.
But I know I’m who I am today
Because I knew you.

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun,
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood,
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

No comments: